Frog found in Indiana woman's can of green beans

Posted: 04/28/13 at 9:00 pm EDT      Last Updated: 04/28/13 at 10:56 pm EDT

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Ind. (CNN) -- A woman bought a can of green beans on sale for 69 cents at Meijer, and what she found inside will keep her and her family from ever eating canned green beans again.

"We eat a lot of green beans. We do. We did. Nobody wants anymore now," said Gloria Chubb, a retired nurse who is disgusted by what she served up at the dinner table for her and her son.

"It was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans," she said.

"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something, because they have bacon in them sometimes," Chubb said. "I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there, and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans. Other than that, he was fully intact."

Pictures were taken of that frog by the Saint Joseph County Health Department.

Chubb alerted the department because she wants to warn others who may be in a rush preparing dinner like she was that day.

"I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave," she said. "I was sick - nauseated for two days - and I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon."

Chubb took all of her unopened cans back here to Meijer, and they gave her a refund.

She took the frog and the questionable can to the health department.

Rita Hooten, the food service director at the health department, said the next step was to send the toad and can down to the Indiana State Department of Health.

"And they do the investigation since it's a wholesale manufactured product," Hooten said.

The state department of health concluded the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin.

"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process," she said.

The consumer specialist who compiled a report in Indianapolis says factory canning is a fast-paced business sometime moving 300 cans through per minute.

Last week, Chubb got an apology letter from the canning company, along with $50.

As for Meijer, they sent a statement via email that reads, "We sincerely regret this customer's experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident."

The Indiana Department of Health says the most common rodent or insect found in canned veggies are toads, mice and grasshoppers. They are also found in frozen vegetables.

Have a story idea or news tip for 7NEWS?

Email: newstips@cw56.com, or call us at 1-800-280-TIPS.