Webster middle school students served moldy juice
WEBSTER, Mass. (WHDH) -- Staffers at Webster Middle School discovered moldy orange juice after students said their drinks had a strange taste.
School officials said 35 students drank the tainted juice last Friday during breakfast. Several students went to the cafeteria staff saying the juice didn’t taste right.
“The cafeteria staff immediately took back all of the orange juice, provided the students with something else to drink, opened the containers and realized that there was some mold within the orange juice,” said Dr. Barbara Malkas, Superintendent of Webster Public Schools.
“I was disgusted, but I mean they did everything that they could possibly do to make sure that the situation got corrected,” a mother said.
School officials immediately took all of the juice with that particular lot number offline, saying the containers were sealed and the mold likely stemmed from the juice distributor.
“This was not an expired product. This was a product that had been handled safely according to the…safe measures,” said Dr. Malkas.
Ten students chose to go home sick, but the superintendent says no student every showed symptoms of any illness.
“It happening at home, that’s one thing. But you don’t expect it happening at school,” said Candy Grandmaison, a parent.
“It’s unfortunate for the kids that did drink it,” one woman said.
The superintendent stressed that the mold only applied to the orange juice and that no food or milk was affected.