New photos of Conn. Christmas house fire

Posted: 11/22/12 at 12:40 am EST      Last Updated: 11/22/12 at 11:47 pm EST

STAMFORD, Conn. (WHDH) -- The city of Stamford, Connecticut released photos from the fire that killed 3 young sisters and their grandparents.

They're hoping it will help provide new insight into what happened that awful night.

These new pictures show what Stamford firefighters dealt with after flames ripped through the badger home on Shippan Avenue Christmas morning.

The fire ravaged this place, burning the outside right to the frame. And neighbors still can't forget the scene

"It was bad my neighbor woke me up at 4:15 and I watched the thing for two hours,” said neighbor, Tony Low-beer.

Inside it's even worse. Damage is so extensive it's tough to distinguish between rooms. The bottom level is completely charred and furniture is almost nonexistent. You can barely tell this used to be a kitchen. The counters are destroyed and the refrigerator is mangled. Down the way the staircase is burned. And it’s easy to see how the three little girls sleeping upstairs couldn't escape. Only their mother, Madonna badger and her boyfriend made it out alive.

"Every time I pass there I look at it and think what a shame…what a disaster and why did this happen."

Take a look at what it looked like on the upper level the bedrooms are nothing but rubble. The fire torched the beds, dressers even the closets…

The bathrooms were badly damaged too.

But the detached garage a few feet away was untouched. Pictures show that's where investigators found the smoke detectors. They were taken out of the home while it was being renovated so the alarms never went off when the fire started and the family didn't know it was in flames until it was too late.

Officials ruled that the blaze was caused by improperly discarded embers from a fireplace, a charge that Badger denies.

No criminal charges have been filed in the case.

Have a story idea or news tip for 7NEWS?

Email: newstips@cw56.com, or call us at 1-800-280-TIPS.