Bomb squad called to destroy fireworks in Cohasset
COHASSET, Mass. (WHDH)--On Tuesday the state police bomb squad was called to haul off and destroy “several hundred pounds worth of fireworks” that police seized in Cohasset, according to Det. Lt. Gregory Lennon.
Homeowner Peter Roy planned to set the fireworks off following his son’s wedding reception on the property. Cohasset police said an officer working a detail at the wedding caught wind of Roy's plan to light off fireworks at 11 p.m. Saturday.
Roy was uncooperative and said he was going to set off the fireworks even though he didn’t have a permit, according to police. The harbormaster was called in to confiscate the fireworks.
Roy told 7News that the harbormaster was well aware of the planned display and was on standby supervising as his employees set up the fireworks on a breakwater at the entrance to the harbor.
Roy said his attorney notified the town about the fireworks plan earlier last week and he feels blindsided by the police department’s decision to shut it down.
“Technically speaking, they're right. I was breaking the law. The big issue I have is enforcement of the laws in such an uneven way,” said Roy.
Residents in the area expressed concern for their neighbors’ safety.
“Everybody should abide by the laws and fireworks have been very serious that people have been injured by them,” said resident, Mark Murphy.
Roy currently doesn’t face any criminal charges but police are still investigating the situation.