3 UNH students burned by burst pipe

Posted: 04/06/13 at 6:30 pm EDT      Last Updated: 04/08/13 at 5:24 am EDT

DURHAM, N.H. (WHDH) -- Three students from the University of New Hampshire suffered third-degree burns when a pipe burst in a dorm room.

The female students suffered burns on their feet because the burst pipe spewed 108 to 110 degree water.

Hot water flooded the first floor of the dormitory ankle deep. The three students were inside and the room and stepped down on to the ground. That is when they apparently were burnt

Students evacuated the building and some described a chaotic scene.

“We came out and there was just a big load of steam coming out underneath the stairs almost and there was a lot of water pouring out and there were three girls on the ground like, in pain, because they had their feet burned,” said a student that witnessed the scene.

The three students are receiving treatment at a hospital. Students displaced from the burst pipe have returned back to the building.

Corrosion was believed to be the cause.

Crews have repaired the broken pipe.

Have a story idea or news tip for 7NEWS?

Email: newstips@cw56.com, or call us at 1-800-280-TIPS.