Head of Mass. National Guard retires after probe
BOSTON (WHDH) -- The head of the Massachusetts National Guard resigned Wednesday amid rape allegations.
Maj. Gen. Joseph Carter had been on leave since the end of March when the Army launched its investigation into an alleged rape in Florida in 1984.
The U.S. Army conducted the rape investigation over several months. Patrick said he received the final report from the Army Wednesday and that the investigators had been unable to reach “definitive conclusions” about the allegations and Carter would not be prosecuted. But state officials said the report raised concerns about Carter’s actions.
“There were troubling allegations that were found against Gen. Carter, which is why we are here -- which is why the governor has accepted his resignation,” said Marybeth Heffernan, Mass. Sec. of Public Safety.
Carter, 56, joined the National Guard in 1974. He was accused of raping a female subordinate during a military training trip in Florida in 1984. The alleged victim declined to press charges at the time, but the allegations resurfaced reportedly when Carter was up for a promotion.
The U.S. Army is not filing charges because the allegations are too old. State officials said Carter should no longer remain at his post.
“Troubling in that they -- the statute of limitations ran on some of the allegations,” said Heffernan. “I think this is a disappointing end to a 30-year career. Gen. Carter was a force on the National Guard and was a leader that we are all held to a very high standard by Gov. Patrick and by the public, as we should be.”
Patrick released a statement on Wednesday saying, “It is clear to me that General Carter can no longer serve as Adjutant General. This is a disappointing end to a 30-year career of service leadership. But we agree that General Carter’s resignation is in the best interest of the National Guard and the people of Massachusetts.”
Carter has denied the allegations in the past. He was not available for comment on Wednesday.