Allston hotel evacuated after fire in generator room
ALLSTON, Mass. (WHDH) -- The Boston Fire Department responded to a fire Wednesday morning at the Doubletree Hotel on Soldiers Field Road in Allston for a fire in the generator room.
The generator was on the second floor in the adjacent parking garage. The fire was contained to the electric panels and diesel fuel.
With the help of the building’s staff the Boston Fire Department shut off the fuel supply.
The fire caused to hotel to lose power and prompted the chief to order an evacuation of the hotel.
Firefighters were shifted over to help with evacuation once the fire was knocked down.
One extra engine and ladder were ordered to the scene.
The Doubletree Hotel is a 15-story building.
The Boston Fire Department worked with the hotel to relocate the guests.
With the loss of the generator and the power out in the hotel no elevators or any electrical systems were working at all. There were no lights in the hallways and stairways. Without power, smoke alarms and other life safety systems were not working, necessitating the evacuation. Firefighters used master keys to go room by room, floor by floor.
The Boston Fire Chief ordered a building and an electrical inspector to the scene to check out the generator room where the fire was. The Doubletree Hotel had an electrical contractor and their building engineer on scene looking at damage and rerouting power to the hotel.
The Doubletree Hotel was at capacity and 400 guests were relocated to the Hyatt hotel across the Charles River on Memorial Drive.
MBTA buses were brought in to move guests to the Hyatt. Moving guests to the Hyatt was part of a plan in place for such incident according to the Boston Fire Department.
NStar arrived on scene at 9 a.m.
Photos courtesy of Boston Fire Department on Twitter (@BostonFire).