Debris makes fighting Dorchester fire difficult
DORCHESTER, Mass. (WHDH) -- A small fire led to a disturbing discovery in Dorchester and Wednesday when firefighters found a home filled with trash.
The two-story Dorchester home suffered $150,000 in damages from a fire started by a faulty light fixture.
“I see a lot of stuff thrown out the windows. I never been in the house,” said Jake Blackman, who saw the fire.
Neighbors saw smoke coming from the two-family home at 21 Oldfields Road, but when firefighters arrived they literally had to clear a path to reach the flames.
“There was a lot of debris in the house. They had a very difficult job getting access to the fire,” said Capt. David Walsh of the Boston fire department.
Boston firefighters said because of all the clutter on the first floor, they were forced to call building inspectors.
“We had some extra fire companies standing by just in case the debris smoldered,” said Walsh.
Fire crews said they found things piled high throughout the first floor apartment. To keep the flames from spreading firefighters dumped the debris outside the house.
The homeowner who lives on the second floor says his tenant and friend is an artist who might have let his collection of items get out of hand.
“He’s a collector of rare books and clothing and he had a thriving business on Ebay,” said Laurence Pierce, homeowner.
Pierce says the hoarding may have made it difficult for firefighters, but it was not the cause of the fire. He says they all knew the clutter was a concern and sadly it was just days away from being cleaned up.
“He’d already started getting rid of stuff. And books -- he had a company that was scheduled to come over this week to get all the books out,” Pierce said.
There is no word from the building inspector on whether the owner will be cited.
Firefighters say it was an electrical fire that was started because of a faulty power outlet.
No one was injured in the fire.