State Rep.'s alleged victim speaks out
BOSTON (WHDH) -- The woman who said she was attacked by a Massachusetts representative spoke out on Wednesday.
Representative Carlos Henriquez is facing attempted kidnapping and assault charges after Katherine Gonzalves said he attacked her inside a car.
Gonzalves spoke to set the record straight about what happened between her and Henriquez. She claims he beat, strangled and kidnapped her.
“I was involved with a man who I believed cared about me…I was assaulted like many others, but my situation has been thrust into the public eye because of the status of my attacker,” Gonzalves said Wednesday.
Her alleged attacker, a member of the state legislature, was in court earlier this week.
Though Gonzalves wouldn’t give any details about the alleged attack, sources told 7News Henriquez got angry when Gonzalves told him she couldn’t see him the night he drove to Arlington at 2 a.m. in a Zipcar -- that’s when she started taping the incident on her phone, he allegedly grabbed it and drove around for hours and wouldn’t let her go.
“I assure you the events that are contained in the police report are true. I have told the truth about this incident and will continue to do so,” said Gonzalves.
Henriquez issued a statement saying, “I have been accused of some serious charges. These allegations are completely untrue…I have dedicated myself to protecting women, not abusing or assaulting them. Putting my hands on a woman is contradictory to my upbringing and morals. I can assure my supporters and critics alike that I am innocent of these charges.”
Gonzalves, surrounded by her mother and attorneys, said her credibility has been questioned simply because her alleged attacker is a public figure.
“But I’m not afraid to speak out and have my voice heard. I’m here because I did nothing wrong,” said Gonzalves.
Gonzalves has taken a restraining order out against Henriquez, who is due back in court in September.